Friday, April 06, 2007

low sketchbook esteem

Looking over these sketchbook pages I see that I was having a moment of very low self esteem. Nice. That happens. Sketchbooks are a fab place to get that out of your system.

When I was at Art Center we had an assignment where you were given a fortune cookie and had to do an illustration based on the fortune. I decided to do it again in my sketchbook (see bottom image)

The one I did at Art Center was super fun because I got to be completely free. I can't remember the fortune but I remember the piece. It was 3-d and had little weird sculptures I made out of tchotski's, placed on a grid made of string inside an old suitcase. I'm not explaining it all that well, but I am having fond memories of it right now. I wish I had taken a picture of it.

I was more inventive in art school. It was so exciting to come up with insane ways to solve the assignments. I think I have stopped that lately. Don't get me wrong, I still get super excited, like for the commission I just got, (it is going to be SO MUCH FUN!) but I need to get back into that rule-breaking-mind-bending mode. That is my goal in the next few months. Watch out suckahs!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sweet Jesus Martha! Your Blog is great, as are all these sketchbook works and small paintings. I feel like painting after looking at all of this. Inspired!!! Now, I have to look at all of your posts. Check out my blog when you can. Link me if you feel like it too. http://joerocco.blogspot.com/