Monday, March 12, 2007

Finger nail biting

I am biting my fingernails right now. This must mean anxiety. I think it is because I am at a turning point in my career. Birthdays always make you consider stuff. I used to know exactly what I was doing and now I am questioning everything. I know this is part of the normal process of life so I am not too worried about it. I figure something good will come of it.

I decided to buy some big canvasses and act like I am painting for a solo show in the future but without the pressure of actually painting for a scheduled show. I want the freedom to be weird or experimental without over thinking about who might buy what or if people will like it or not. I have a hard time getting out of the people-pleasing mode, but I have done it in the past and I will do it now.

The piece of art above is for a show this summer at Uppercase Gallery in Canada called the Shatner Show. 76 artists are painting their interpretation of William Shatner. It is going to be made into a book and is backed by William Shatner himself. A portion of sales from the show go to his favorite charity. I get asked to be in a ton of groups shows and am having to turn most of them down, but I thought this was an interesting concept so I said yes.

1 comment:

jaime said...

Very funny show concept. Nice piece. Way to not do a straight portrait and keep it interesting. I do wish I could see it bigger though...

I love the gallery page too with their cute books and cards. I signed up for their e-mail list, as if I need more e-mail.