Thursday, March 29, 2007

sketchbook o' love

More pages from my sketchbook o' love. The great thing about sketchbooks is you can do artwork that sucks and it doesn't matter.

The top two pages suck. I tried to make them better, but I failed. It is important to mess up. We all try to create the perfect masterpiece, but it is the mistakes that make you a better artist. If you give yourself permission to mess up, it frees you up to relax and have fun. Trying to be perfect just screws you up. Yuck that sounds so motivational-speaker-self-helpy. Maybe I should write a book called Permission to Suck! What's so great about perfection anyway?

The bottom page makes me happy though. It has gotten a lot of good response and even some jobs came out of it. Sometimes simple is better. The day I did it I was feeling like an average shmo. Wah wah wah.


No comments: